The North of Ireland Family History Society (NIFHS) has the following small collection of books on Heraldry. The construction of a coat of arms, part science and part art, can tell one a lot about the family history of the person bearing those arms. While relatively few families are armigerous – and there is no such thing as a “family coat of arms” belonging to all who have the same surname – many people are associated with organisations, such as towns and universities and schools, that have matriculated arms. These books are for consultation in the Library and not for borrowing.
The books are shelved at IR 685 in the Randal Gill Library.
- IR 685-001 — Ireland, Clans and Family Heraldry — Grenham, John
- IR 685-002 — Dictionary of Heraldry — Friar, Stephen
- IR 685-003 — Complete Guide to Heraldry — Fox-Davies, A. C
- IR 685-004 — Heraldry and the Heralds — Dennys, Rodney
- IR 685-005 — Symbols of Heraldry Explained — Heraldic Artists
- IR 685-006 — Who’s Famous in your Family — Readers’ Digest
- IR 685-007 — The Armorial Who is Who 1961–1962
- IR 685-008 — Directory of British Peerages — Leeson, Francis L.
- IR 685-009 — Irish Heraldry, The Poolbeg Book of — O’ Comain, Micheal
- IR 685-010 — General Armory of England, Scotland , Ireland & Wales, Vol. 2 — Burke, Sir Bernard
- IR 685-011 — General Armory of England, Scotland , Ireland & Wales, Vol. 3 — Burke, Sir Bernard
- IR 685-012 — Heraldry, Ulster & North American Connections — Swan, Conrad
- IR 685-013 — Gaelic Titles & Forms of Address (1990) — Duhallow, The Lord of
- IR 685-014 — Gaelic Titles & Forms of Address (2nd Ed. 1997)