The North of Ireland Family History Society (NIFHS) is governed by the Council, all the Officers and Members of which are Charity Trustees for the purposes of the Charities Act (Northern Ireland) 2008. The Council is composed of a number of honorary office bearers elected at the Annual General Meeting of the Society and three representatives of each Branch.
Council may appoint Members of the Society to Council and may appoint Officers from the Members of Council. The AGM of the Society is held in May and is hosted by the Branches in turn.
The Branches themselves normally hold their own AGM in April and elect their own office bearers.
The main legal guideline for the Society and Branches is that they act in accordance with the Charities Act (Northern Ireland) 2008 and its subsequent amendments, the Society Constitution and the Branch Constitution.
Ex-Officio Members of Council
Under the Society Constitution, the Chairperson, the Secretary and the Treasurer of each Branch are Members of Council ex officio.
Society Officers for 2016-2017
The following Members were elected as Society Officers at the 2016 AGM (or subsequently appointed).
- President – Ann Robinson
- Chairperson – Brian O’Hara
- Treasurer – Mike McKeag
- General Secretary – <vacant>
- Membership Secretary – Sandra Ardis
- Vice-President – Michael McKeag
- Vice-Chairperson – <vacant>
- Assistant Treasurer – <vacant>
- Assistant Secretary – <vacant>
- Assistant Membership Secretary – <vacant>
- Education & Development Officer – Martin McDowell
- Librarian – Ann Robinson
- Projects Co-ordinator – Anne Johnston
- Publicity Officer – Maeve Rogan
There are Volunteers, members assisting Council by undertaking important roles for the Society, who at present are:
- Minute Secretary – Michael Parkinson
- Research Centre Bookings – Kathleen Morrison
- Publications Despatch Officer – Maggie Lyttle
- Postal Enquiries – Heather Magowan
- E-mail Enquiries – Maggie Lyttle
- Ancestor Charts – Martin McDowell
- Family Trees – Elizabeth Scott
- Mourning Cards – Sandra Ardis
- Journal Editor – Michael McKeag
- Journal Editorial Team – Ian Forsythe, Flora Jackson, John Jackson, Diana Kirkpatrick, Syl Maguire
- Webmaster – Colin McBride
- Data Protection Officer – Anne Johnston
- Deputy Project Officer – Yvonne Griffiths
- CIGO Representative – Rob Davison
- PRONI User Group Representative – Ann Robinson
Calendar of Meetings 2016-2017
- Meetings of Council Trustees (2nd Wednesdays) – 8 June 2016, 6 July 2016 (N.B. 1st Wednesday), 10 August 2016, 14 September 2016, 12 October 2016, 9 November 2016, 14 December, 11 January 2017, 8 February 2017, 8 March 2017, 12 April 2017, 10 May 2017
- Annual General Meeting – Saturday, 20 May 2017, to be hosted by the Killyleagh Branch.