The North of Ireland Family History Society (NIFHS) is managed by its Council, all the Members of which are Charity Trustees for the purposes of the Charities Act (Northern Ireland) 2008. The Council is composed of a number of office bearers elected at the Annual General Meeting of the Society and three representatives of each Branch.
Council may appoint Members of the Society to Council and may appoint Officers from the Members of Council. The AGM of the Society is held in May and is hosted by the Branches in turn.
The Branches themselves normally hold their own AGM in April and elect their own office bearers.
The main legal guideline for the Society and Branches is that they act in accordance with the Charities Act (Northern Ireland) 2008 and its subsequent amendments, and the charity’s Governing Document consisting of the Society Constitution and the Branch Constitution.
Ex-Officio Members of Council
Under the Society Constitution, the Chairperson, the Secretary and the Treasurer of each Branch are Members of Council ex officio.
Society Officers for 2017-18
The following Members were elected as Society Officers at the 2017 AGM (or subsequently appointed).
- President – Ann Robinson
- Chairperson – Brian O’Hara
- Treasurer – Mike McKeag
- General Secretary – <vacant>
- Membership Secretary – Sandra Ardis
- Vice President – Michael McKeag
- Education & Development Officer – Martin McDowell
- Librarian – Ann Robinson
- Projects Co-ordinator – Séan Traynor
- Publicity Officer – Maeve Rogan
There are Volunteers, members assisting Council by undertaking important roles for the Society, who at present are:
- Minute Secretary – Michael Parkinson
- Admin Emails – Elizabeth Scott
- Research Centre Bookings – Kathleen Morrison
- Publications Dispatch – Maggie Lyttle
- Postal Enquiries – Heather Magowan
- Email Enquiries – Maggie Lyttle
- Ancestor Charts – Martin McDowell
- Family Trees – Elizabeth Scott
- Mourning Cards – Sandra Ardis
- Journal Editor – Michael McKeag
- Journal Editorial Team – Ian Forsythe, Flora Jackson, John Jackson, Diana Kirkpatrick, Syl Maguire
- Webmaster – Colin McBride
- Data Protection – Anne Johnston
- Deputy Project Co-ordinator – Yvonne Griffiths
- PRONI User Group Representative – Ann Robinson
Calendar of Meetings 2017-18
- Meetings of Council Trustees (2nd Wednesdays) – 14 June 2017, 5 July 2017 (N.B. 1st Wednesday), 9 August 2017, 13 September 2017, 11 October 2017, 8 November 2017, 13 December 2017, 10 January 2018, 14 February 2018, 14 March 2018, 11 April 2018, 9 May 2018
- Annual General Meeting – Saturday, 19 May 2018