The North of Ireland Family History Society (NIFHS) is managed by its Council, all the Members of which are Charity Trustees for the purposes of the Charities Act (Northern Ireland) 2008. The Council is composed of a number of office bearers elected at the Annual General Meeting of the Society and three representatives of each Branch.
Council may appoint Members of the Society to Council and may appoint Officers from the Members of Council. The AGM of the Society is held in September and is hosted by the Branches in turn.
The Branches themselves normally hold their own AGM in May and elect their own office bearers.
The main legal guideline for the Society and Branches is that they act in accordance with the Charities Act (Northern Ireland) 2008 and its subsequent amendments, and the charity’s Governing Document consisting of the Society Constitution and the Branch Constitution.
Ex-Officio Members of Council
Under the Society Constitution, the Chairperson, the Secretary and the Treasurer of each Branch are Members of Council ex officio.
Society Officers for 2021-22
The following Officer posts were filled by election at the AGM (or subsequently by appointment):
- President – Ann Robinson
- Chairperson – Alison Tait
- General Secretary – Elizabeth Scott
- Membership Secretary – Rosemary Sibbett
- Treasurer – Mike McKeag
- Vice President – Mike McKeag
- Vice Chairperson – Michael Parkinson
- Asst Membership Secretary – Alexandra Barr
- Education & Development Officer
– Martin McDowell
- Librarian – Ann Robinson
- Publicity Officer – Maeve Rogan
There are Volunteer roles undertaken by members to assist Council in providing the various services to members and the public:
- Minutes Secretary
- Email Enquiries Assistant
- Membership Assistant
- Members’ Interests Assistant
- Look Up Service Assistant
- Journal Editor
- Journal Editorial Assistants
- Ancestor Charts Assistant
- Family Trees Assistant
- Mourning Cards Assistant
- Website Technical Assistant
- Website Content Editor
- Show Event Assistants
- Newsletter Assistants
- Shop Publications Despatch Assistant
- Research Centre Bookings Assistant
- CIGO Representative
- PRONI User Group Representative
- DNA Project Administrator
- DNA Project Assistants
- Projects Co-ordination Assistants
- Transcription Assistants
Calendar of Meetings 2021-22
For the foreseeable future Council Meetings will be held on Zoom.
Meetings of Council Trustees are normally at 7.30pm on 2nd Wednesday of the month, except December and July.
- Annual General Meeting 2022 – Saturday, 17 September 2021