The North of Ireland Family History Society (NIFHS) is managed by its Council, all the Members of which are Charity Trustees for the purposes of the Charities Act (Northern Ireland) 2008. The Council is composed of a number of office bearers elected at the Annual General Meeting of the Society and three representatives of each Branch.
Council may appoint Members of the Society to Council and may appoint Officers from the Members of Council. The AGM of the Society is held in September and is hosted by the Branches in turn.
The Branches themselves normally hold their own AGM in May and elect their own office bearers.
The main legal guideline for the Society and Branches is that they act in accordance with the Charities Act (Northern Ireland) 2008 and its subsequent amendments, and the charity’s Governing Document consisting of the Society Constitution and the Branch Constitution.
Ex-Officio Members of Council
Under the Society Constitution, the Chairperson, the Secretary and the Treasurer of each Branch are Members of Council by virtue of their office.
Society Officer Members of Council
The following Officer posts are filled by election at the Annual General Meeting, or subsequently by appointment of Council:
- General Secretary
- Membership Secretary
- Vice President
- Vice Chairperson
- Assistant Secretary
- Assistant Membership Secretary
- Assistant Treasurer
- Education & Development Officer
- Publicity Officer
There are Volunteer roles undertaken by members to assist Council in providing the various services to members and the public:
- Minutes Secretary
- Email Enquiries Assistant
- Membership Assistant
- Profile Forms Assistant
- Members’ Interests Assistant
- Look Up Service Assistant
- North Irish Roots Journal Editor
- Journal Editorial Assistants
- Ancestor Charts Assistant
- Family Trees Assistant
- Mourning Cards Assistant
- Website Technical Assistant
- Website Content Assistant
- Show Event Assistants
- Newsletter Assistants
- Shop Publications Despatch Assistant
- Data Protection Officer
- DNA Project Administrator
- DNA Project Assistants
- Research Centre Bookings Assistant
- Projects Co-ordination Assistants
- Transcription Assistants
- CIGO Representative
- PRONI User Group Representative
Calendar of Meetings 2022-23
Meetings of Council Trustees are normally at 7.30pm on 2nd Wednesday of the month, except December and July.
- Annual General Meeting 2023 – Saturday, 16 September 2023