The North of Ireland Family History Society (NIFHS) has a large range of material available in the Research Centre and online.
Most records are freely available to any viewer. Some are limited to Members only. Simply click or tap on the appropriate link within the Records listing. The first time a viewer tries to access members-only content (which is identified by its name being in blue) a login prompt screen will be presented.
A full listing of available resources is available in the Library List. Click or tap on the links below for details of the holdings.
The Society has a large and growing collection of indexed and transcribed records, an increasing number of which are being placed partially or fully online. For Members who cannot visit our Research Centre we offer a Look Up Service.
- Church Records – by County
- Graveyard Records – by Denomination, by County
- Newspaper Records
- Miscellaneous Records – including Census Strays, PHSI correspondence, Members’ Interests and others
Books & Journals
We have a large collection of books of interest to those researching Irish family history and many directories, both street and biographical; we also have a good collection of general family history information books and a small section of books relating to other places. For Members who cannot visit our Research Centre we offer a Look Up Service. We subscribe to over 50 local and family history journals and many of these have been indexed; Members also have free access to JSTOR’s online Ireland collection.
- Irish Section Books
- Journals – including the Society’s journal North Irish Roots and E-Newsletters and the Ordnance Survey Memoirs and the online indexes and JSTOR Ireland Collection.
- A5 Information Books
- Other Countries – including England, Scotland and Wales.
We have a good collection of maps and also genealogical CDs, DVDs and Microfiches.
- Maps – including most O.S. 6″ maps and in our online Shop we sell Alan Godfrey’s reproductions of old O.S. maps of Ulster
- CDs & DVDs
Many Members transcribe records for the Society; others contribute to the Church Mapping Project. We encourage Members to join our DNA Project. We hope to establish several Special Interest Groups.
In addition to publishing our journal, newsletter and a variety of books, the Society has two series of research booklets: one series is to help the new researcher and the other series aims to help the more advanced researcher on a county by county basis.
- North Irish Roots
- NIFHS Newsletters
- NIFHS Books & CDs – available in our online Shop.
- NIFHS Research Booklets – available in our online Shop.
Among other services we mount a programme of courses for Members and the public and we provide speakers and family history stalls for organisers of other events. We also offer Members a Look Up Service and the use of computers and free Wi-Fi and the opportunity to take part in our Biennial Competition
- Look Up Service – for Members.
- Courses – for Members and the public.
- Public Benefit – speakers and display stalls for events planned by other organisations.
- Biennial Competition – for Members.
- Computing Facilities – at our Research Centre.
- FindMyPast – is available for Members to use at our Research Centre.
For Record Repositories and other Websites and Blogs that may be of use see External Resources.
Birth Registration Form
Marriage Registration Form
Death Registration Form
Record of Ancestors Chart (pdf)
Record of Ancestors Chart (doc)
Family Group Sheet
Individual Research Sheet
Member’s Profile Form (pdf)
Member’s Profile Form (doc)