How to Search:
• To find events organised by a particular Branch, for example Lisburn Branch, search for ‘Lisburn Branch’.
• To search for a particular type of Event, search for ‘talk’, ‘outing’, ‘DNA school’, ‘AGM’, ‘quiz’, etc.
• To search for a particular Event or Speaker, search the name, or part of the name.
To see all the available Events within a particular month, switch to the ‘Month‘ view.
- This event has passed.
The Ballykinlar Hut Project – Mike King | Belfast Branch | On Zoom
Tuesday, 24 January 2023 @ 7:30 am - 9:00 pm GMTFree
Virtual Branch Meeting on Zoom.
Zoom open from 7:00 pm
Meeting starts at 7:30 pm
Belfast Branch members have been notified of the link to join the meeting on Zoom.
Others who are interested in joining the meeting – contact the Branch Secretary at Belfast@nifhs.org to request Zoom link.
Mike King is a former Curator of Down County Museum in Downpatrick. As a lockdown project he organised the construction in the museum courtyard of a replica of a 1914 Armstrong hut from Ballykinlar Camp. The hut opened to the public in 2021. It is used to introduce the stories of the many types of people who had used the camp.
Mike will cover the background to the Ballykinlar History Hut project and will tell some of the stories of the occupants of the huts between the First World War and the 1950s as collected from their descendants and relatives. These stories relate to:
• First World War soldiers who trained at the camp
• Prisoners held in the huts during the Irish War of Independence,
• Inter-war occupants from various regiments and US GIs
• Maltese evacuees
• German prisoners-of-war
• Others during the Second World War
• Hungarian refugees who had escaped the Russian invasion in 1956 and arrived in Northern Ireland in 1957.
He will also share information about sources used to obtain family information about some of the people who had stayed in the camp.