The North of Ireland Family History Society (NIFHS) runs courses on a variety of topics for Members and the public. The courses are presented in the Honneyman Room of the Society’s Research Centre in Newtownabbey but can also be presented elsewhere. A programme of courses has been prepared and is listed below. They are organised by the Society’s Education & Development Officer, who should be contacted on Education@NIFHS.org if you have any queries about the courses.
Where a course is marked FULLY BOOKED, e-mail Education@NIFHS.org for a place on the waiting list;
if demand is sufficient the course may be repeated.
The courses for Spring 2018 with their start dates
- February 6th – Family Finder 1 – 3 Tuesday evenings
- February 20th – JSTOR – a free online resource for NIFHS members – 1 Tuesday at noon – FREE EVENT
- February 27th – The Plantation of Ulster – Names and Places – 1 Tuesday morning – FULLY BOOKED
- March 3rd – Family Finder 2 – 3 Saturday afternoons – FULLY BOOKED
- March 13th – Using GEDmatch – 1 Tuesday evening
- March 20th – Family Tree Maker – Basics and Benefits – 1 Tuesday morning
- March 24th – Using My Heritage DNA – 1 Saturday morning – FULLY BOOKED
- March 24th – Branch Governance – 1 Saturday afternoon – FREE EVENT
- April 14th – Making the Most of Your Autosomal DNA Results – 2 Saturday afternoons – FULLY BOOKED
- April 17th – Family Finder 3 – 3 Tuesday evenings – EXTRA COURSE due to demand
- May 8th – Scottish Records – 1 Tuesday afternoon
Society Governance – 1 Saturday morning – FREE EVENT – rescheduled to Saturday 29th September 2018.
The fee for each course is £7 for 1 session, £12 for 2 sessions and £15 for 3 sessions; each session lasts 2 hours.
These courses are open to members and non-members.
To book a place on a course, e-mail Education@NIFHS.org.
All courses are held in the Honneyman Room, NIFHS Research Centre, Unit C4, Valley Business Centre, 67 Church Road, Newtownabbey, Co. Antrim, BT36 7LS.
“Family Finder 1”
“JSTOR – a free online resource for NIFHS members”
“The Plantation of Ulster – Names and Places” – FULLY BOOKED
The emphasis is on surnames – not politics!
“Family Finder 2” – FULLY BOOKED
“Family Tree Maker – Basics and Benefits”
“Using My Heritage DNA” – FULLY BOOKED
You may be familiar with the My Heritage website but what you may not know is that you can upload your autosomal DNA results to their website free of charge and take the opportunity to look for DNA matches on a different database. Learn what MyHeritage has to offer and hear about all the recent changes it has made to improve its DNA experience for customers.
“Branch Governance” – FREE EVENT – NEW
“Making the Most of Your Autosomal DNA Results” – FULLY BOOKED
“Family Finder 3” – EXTRA COURSE due to demand
“Society Governance” – FREE EVENT
Book your place now
To book your place on a Course email Education@NIFHS.org.
Please give your
- Full Name
- Email Address
- Membership Number (if any)
- Course Title
- Course Date