The North of Ireland Family History Society (NIFHS) runs courses on a variety of topics for Members and the public. The courses are presented in the Honneyman Room of the Society’s Research Centre in Newtownabbey but can also be presented elsewhere. A programme of courses has been prepared and is listed below. They are organised by the Society’s Education & Development Officer, who should be contacted on Education@NIFHS.org if you have any queries about the courses.
A course will not run if there are not enough enrolments for it.
If a course you are interested in is marked FULLY BOOKED,
email Education@NIFHS.org for a place on the waiting list;
if demand is sufficient the course may be repeated.
The courses for Autumn 2018 with their start dates
- September 29th – NIFHS Information Day – 1 Saturday morning and afternoon
- October 6th – Starting your Genealogy – Beginner’s Course – 3 Saturdays
- October 9th – The Plantation of Ulster – Names and Places – 1 Tuesday morning
- October 9th – Family Finder Tuesdays – 3 Tuesday evenings – FULLY BOOKED
- October 15th – Family Finder Mondays – 3 Monday evenings – FULLY BOOKED
- October 16th – Understanding Heraldry – 1 Tuesday morning and afternoon – CANCELLED
- October 22nd – Using WikiTree – 1 Monday afternoon
- October 27th – DNA Painter – 1 Saturday Morning – FULLY BOOKED
- November 3rd – Making the Most of Your Autosomal DNA Results – 2 Saturday afternoons – FULLY BOOKED
- November 6th – From Family Tree to Family History – 3 Tuesday mornings
- November 13th – Sharing Your Family History – 1 Tuesday evening
- November 20th – Researching Military Ancestors – 2 Tuesday evenings
- December 4th – JSTOR – A free resource for NIFHS members – 1Tuesday lunchtime
The fee for each course is £7 for 1 session, £12 for 2 sessions and £15 for 3 sessions; each session lasts 2 hours.
These courses are open to members and non-members.
To book a place on a course, e-mail Education@NIFHS.org.
All courses are held in the Honneyman Room, NIFHS Research Centre, Unit C4, Valley Business Centre, 67 Church Road, Newtownabbey, BT36 7LS.
“NIFHS Information Day”
“Starting Your Genealogy – Beginner’s Course”
“The Plantation of Ulster – Names and Places”
The emphasis is on surnames – not politics!
“Family Finder Tuesdays”
“Family Finder Mondays”
Making a map of your chromosomes may sound difficult and uninteresting to most people however it is actually very easy and is an excellent tool for working out your DNA matches and expanding your family tree. This course is suitable for those who want to learn more about how to use their DNA and who have already confirmed a few matches with other people on Family Tree DNA, My Heritage or GedMatch.
“Making the Most of Your Autosomal DNA Results”
“From Family Tree to Family History”
“Sharing Your Family History”
Are you looking for a new way to share your research with family? PowerPoint is not just a presentation tool, it can also be used to create a ‘talking book.’ The book could be about an event, an individual or a place special to the family. Learn how to plan and put together slides to create your book, insert text and images and introduce sound as background or narration. The ‘book’ can be saved to CD and is an easy and inexpensive way to share your story.
“Researching Military Ancestors”
“JSTOR – a free online resource for NIFHS members”
Book your place now
To book your place on a Course email Education@NIFHS.org.
Please give your
- Full Name
- Membership Number (if any)
- Course Title
- Course Date